InnovateNYP: Pediatric App Challenge
NewYork-Presbyterian is hosting the InnovateNYP: Pediatric App Challenge, a ten week competition to develop applications, technologies, and games for pediatric patients and pediatric care providers. The Challenge began with a weekend-long Pediatric Appathon. Participants may compete in the Appathon, Challenge, or both. The competition is open to the general public, as well as New-York Presbyterian employees.
Components of the Competition:
- Over the course of 30 hours, over 85 participants formed teams and developed ideas that used technology to improve the pediatric healthcare experience.
- To begin the Appathon, participants saw presentations from the Family Advisory Councils of both the Komansky Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell and NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital.
- Throughout the weekend, NewYork-Presbyterian IT and clinical staff answered questions for the contestants. NewYork-Presbyterian also hosted in-person networking and educational events to support participants.
- Fifteen prototypes were submitted for review.
- Judges awarded a total of $10,000 in prizes. Read about the top three teams here.
- Participants will aim to develop a working prototype of a software application that uses data to advance pediatrics and what the healthcare community can offer younger patients. They can work in teams up to eight members.
- Each of the applications will use Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) enabled data, which is the newest and easy-to-implement data standard for exchanging electronic health records.
- All submissions will be due by May 20th, 2016 and will be judged on ease of use, design, benefit for users, creativity, innovation, and overall quality.
- On Demo Day, the five finalists will present their solutions in person to our panel. Judges will award a total of $40,000 to the top three teams. Demo Day will be held on June 9th from 5 pm to 8 pm at the Wintergarden at NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital (3959 Broadway, at 165th, New York, NY 10032). Register to attend the showcase here.
- Judges for Demo Day will be: Aneesh Chopra (President of NavHealth), Daniel Barchi (Senior Vice President & Chief Information Officer), Rachel Haot (Managing Director at 1776), Naveen Selvadurai (Co-Founder of Foursquare), Minerva Tantoco (Chief Technology Officer at the City of New York), Lawrence Stanberry (Pediatrician in Chief, NewYork-Presbyterian/ Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, and Jesssica Leber (Staff Editor and Writer at Fast Company).
- March 12th and 13th: Duration of the Appathon
- March 14th through May 20th: Duration of the Challenge.
- June 9th: Demo Day